Wednesday 19 December 2012

Day 24 - "Everyone's a critic!" - but not here (SO FAR!)

“The public is the only critic whose opinion is worth anything at all” {Mark Twain}

That I would argue is a fair comment - as long as the audience enjoys a show, why worry about the critics?!  As much as I agree however it's hard for a lot of (but not all) actors to dread reviews and take them to heart (or to their heads) when they finally get to read them! Personally I haven't been reviewed enough to have developed an aversion to them... I'm eager to read what has been said (if anything) about my performance.  Thankfully, so far, all of our reviews have been very positive and complimentary!!  I do hope I haven't jinxed anything there!!!

The legs and arms are still getting battered and bruised!!  I'm absolutely covered in them.. but as I keep saying if things get a laugh, each bruise seems worth it.  It'll probably look like I have tanned legs for months afterwards!

We've developed a little "false corpse" in the show now.  Things are starting to develop as we all settle into the show, and everyone is feeling more comfortable to ad-lib if required.  This particular false corpse though has been around in one form or another since rehearsal - in fact I spoke about it a couple of weeks ago.  Royce loves to take the mickey out of my accent, in particular at the top of Act II, the word "money" which apparently I say as "Munaaaaaay!"  The audience LOVE him ridiculing me and my "embarrassment" of being 'caught out'.  Obviously they believe it's happening for the first time - but we know the truth - and now so do you!

On Saturday, the rest of the cast decided to get in on the action.  Emma came in as Aladdin saying "Mom, I always said I'd come back rich with lots of 'munaaaaay!'" and PG added "Isn't it great having all this "munaaaaay PC Pongo!'"  So to keep it up... I changed my rhyming couplet at the end of the show to "We hope you liked our Pantomime and that you found us funny, for giving up your Saturday night and spending all your 'munaaaay!'"  which seemed to go down well!!!

After this little comic moment I headed off to the dressing rooms, undressing Aladdin and vice versa, as is our ritual - it's not what you may think from reading that statement... it's just that myself and Emma have beautiful costumes that are quite difficult get ones self out of!  Anyway... I carried on down the corridor and wondered "who's been in my room?!"  Dressing room door wide open!  The answer soon hit me, as I walked in and was greeted with "SURPRISE"  from The Jarvo!!  Sunday was Sandy's day off so she decided, very sneakily, to come down and surprise me!  And that she did!  I was so shocked I literally fell out of the dressing room!  Pure shock.  I hugged her, then pushed her away because I was "so sweaty", then pulled her back, and pushed her away again.  I was so taken a back, i didn't know what to do with myself!

So, I had a lovely evening... although not resting my voice as planned, catching up and chilling our with Sandy!  It was just the tonic for both of us - and had given us the drive to get through to Christmas day, without seeing each other!  Aaaaaaaah - Pongo's got a soppy side!

Best wishes!
Pongy!
X

No comments:

Post a Comment